Just a quick heads-up. There is now a report on my talk in parliament in London on ‘The Military Dimension of Russia’s Policy toward Ukraine: Should the West Be Worried?‘ under the auspices of the Henry Jackson Society here and also a full transcript of my opening remarks. Although the US government and NATO commander seems still to be suggesting Russian military action is imminent, my view is that the danger of that is receding; I hope I will be proved right. The next day, I spoke at the European Council on Foreign Relations about the political impact on Russia of sanctions, and you can hear a podcast of my comments here. I still suspect that future historians may conclude that when Putin took Crimea he lost not only Ukraine but, ultimately, the Kremlin.
On Russia, Ukraine, sanctions and war
Posted by Mark Galeotti on April 4, 2014
What Would A Russian Invasion Of Ukraine Look Like?
Not a new Cold War: Great Game II
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @mlafontrapnouil: "To put it crudely, the FSB does the kinds of things everyone else thinks about doing but doesn’t because they’re too… 47 minutes ago
- RT @NPRKelly: .@MarkGaleotti knows more about Russian spies than just about anyone except...Russian spies. His take on the FSB: https://t.c… 10 hours ago
- Bombshell: a v promising DC-focused new #NatSec national security podcast under @warontherocks wing. Worth following warontherocks.com/2017/01/introd… 11 hours ago
- Evropa a svět - Jak může Západ reagovat na ruskou hybridní válku? Zpráva o mé přednášce minulý týden pro @IIR_Prague euroskop.cz/9005/28334/cla… 13 hours ago
- RT @carlbildt: Key figures from @stavridisj: US spends $600bn on defence, non-US Nato 300bn, China 100bn and Russia 80bn. #wef17 15 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History