Just a quick heads-up. There is now a report on my talk in parliament in London on ‘The Military Dimension of Russia’s Policy toward Ukraine: Should the West Be Worried?‘ under the auspices of the Henry Jackson Society here and also a full transcript of my opening remarks. Although the US government and NATO commander seems still to be suggesting Russian military action is imminent, my view is that the danger of that is receding; I hope I will be proved right. The next day, I spoke at the European Council on Foreign Relations about the political impact on Russia of sanctions, and you can hear a podcast of my comments here. I still suspect that future historians may conclude that when Putin took Crimea he lost not only Ukraine but, ultimately, the Kremlin.
On Russia, Ukraine, sanctions and war
Posted by Mark Galeotti on April 4, 2014
What Would A Russian Invasion Of Ukraine Look Like?
Not a new Cold War: Great Game II
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @saradzhyan: This week's episodes from Russian-Ukrainian spy wars: https://t.co/uidc495BAB 6 hours ago
- Delightful cosmic synchronicity: my new @OspreyBooks book on the Modern #Russia|n Army releases on 23 Feb: Defenders of the Fatherland Day 6 hours ago
- RT @PowerVertical: On the new @PowerVertical Podcast, I discuss hybrid war with @MarkGaleotti (and plug Mark's new report) https://t.co/eBs… 7 hours ago
- RT @KevinRothrock: Kadyrov orders Chechen clerics to deny religious funeral rites to drunk drivers. Awesome dictator move. He's so fun to w… 13 hours ago
- Interesting @CodaStory news platform will follow crises in depth + over time, not usual journalistic hit&run codastory.com 15 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History