Wordpress have delivered their usual summary of a year in statistics. I’m not going to post the whole thing, but I was delighted and honoured to read that I had some 240,000 views across the year, with one day — 24th November — getting almost 11,000 views. Now, sadly much of this is because of the mayhem, murder and misery attached to Russia in 2015, given the nature of my beat, so pleasure must be balanced with a little reflective sadness. Still, I would like to say thank you to all those who do subscribe or just stop by, and especially express my pleasure that while the USA and the UK account for the most hits, Russia comes third. I hope you find this useful and even sometimes entertaining, and now have a target to exceed for 2016. S novym godom!
A Quarter of a Million in 2016?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on December 30, 2015
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @natsecHeather: Deadline next week for this great fellowship. Jump-start your career w/DC's best think tanks and advocacy shops -- and g… 12 hours ago
- #Bastrykin reportedly resigned... Probably true, and next stage in cannibalisation of #Russia's sec/law apparat rbc.ru/politics/26/09… 14 hours ago
- RT @jacklosh: Reports: LNR's deputy defence minister Vitaly Kiselev is dead following his arrest and subsequent interrogation. The purge wi… 21 hours ago
- RT @ECFRWiderEurope: Listen to @MarkGaleotti for more insights on the new Russian Ministry of State Security @PowerVertical https://t.co/x6… 1 day ago
- RT @KevinRothrock: Where’s the USG backlash against this inexcusable attack on women and women’s rights by one of America’s great East Euro… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History