Wordpress have delivered their usual summary of a year in statistics. I’m not going to post the whole thing, but I was delighted and honoured to read that I had some 240,000 views across the year, with one day — 24th November — getting almost 11,000 views. Now, sadly much of this is because of the mayhem, murder and misery attached to Russia in 2015, given the nature of my beat, so pleasure must be balanced with a little reflective sadness. Still, I would like to say thank you to all those who do subscribe or just stop by, and especially express my pleasure that while the USA and the UK account for the most hits, Russia comes third. I hope you find this useful and even sometimes entertaining, and now have a target to exceed for 2016. S novym godom!
A Quarter of a Million in 2016?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on December 30, 2015
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @dmitryzaksAFP: Despite #Putin and endless state TV propaganda, an overwhelming majority of Russians want better ties with the West http… 5 hours ago
- RT @KadriLiik: And they get it wrong. Putin's social conservatism is mostly opportunistic, little of it is real. mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/wor… 5 hours ago
- RT @AlexKokcharov: #Poll by @levada_ru : interest in #Russia to events in #Ukraine is at the lowest level since early 2014 https://t.co/VLb… 5 hours ago
- Those who live by the hack risk dying by it, too #Russia's FSB warns banks of hacker threat #CyberSecurity inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/rus… 8 hours ago
- RT @NataliaAntonova: I was just thinking - why stop at "alt-right"? Go all out. Call crime "alt-legal." Call Wild Irish Rose "alt-cabernet." 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History