I’m delighted and honoured that to launch my new Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats at NYU’s Center for Global Affairs, Estonian President Toomas Ilves – not just a statesman but also a scholar and a keen observer of the evolving geopolitical environment – will be coming to talk on the subject Modern World–Modern Threats? Responses to Hybrid Aggression. The event will be at the SUNY School of Optometry Auditorium at 33 West 42nd Street, 1730-1900, on Monday, September 28. It is free, but attendees must register in advance here, and space is limited so register soon!
Launch Event for the Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats: President Ilves on ‘Modern World – Modern Threats?’
Posted by Mark Galeotti on September 18, 2015
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @NataliaAntonova: Great primer on Russian propaganda (and propaganda in general) by @MarkGaleotti: edition.cnn.com/2016/09/28/opi… #MH17 4 hours ago
- My take for @CNNOpinion on what to expect from #Russia after #MH17 report: #Putin's 5-step denial + disinfo campaign edition.cnn.com/2016/09/28/opi… 21 hours ago
- RT @maxseddon: This would be about as close as you can get to directly pointing the finger at Russia. 1 day ago
- RT @maxseddon: MH17 was shot down by a Buk brought to separatist-held territory from Russia, JIT to say, according to Dutch media https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @bordaesth: the EU border industry costs 13bn euros, creating a smuggling industry worth about the same - @HenkvanHoutum on EU bordernom… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History