Just a brief cross-post: I wrote a short blog for the Osprey Books website on some of the experiences of writing my new book Russian Security and Paramilitary Forces since 1991, which you can read here. I also had a Q&A with Andrew Bowen of The Interpreter on some of the issues raised in the book, ‘An Expert’s Guide to Russia’s Security Apparatus: from riot police to secret intelligence units’, which you can find here. (There are also some earlier observations here).
“On writing Elite 197: Russian Security and Paramilitary Forces since 1991”
Posted by Mark Galeotti on September 25, 2013
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @KevinRothrock: Where’s the USG backlash against this inexcusable attack on women and women’s rights by one of America’s great East Euro… 12 hours ago
- RT @BBCSteveR: What the Russian gossip mags are saying about their president...and who may succeed him. A video review. https://t.co/zpS5XM… 15 hours ago
- I'd agree! twitter.com/OksanaBoyko_RT… 15 hours ago
- In July, @scrawnya + I posited in @ForeignPolicy how a crack-down in #Russia might start. Seems q timely now... foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/29/how… 18 hours ago
- RT @dmitryzaksAFP: Kremlin 'grey cardinal' Volodin, whim #Putin just appointed as parliament speaker, apparently has presidential ambitious… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History