Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now a senior researcher at the Institute of International Relations Prague and coordinates its Centre for European Security. He is also the director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark), as well as a visiting fellow with the ECFR.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @ChristopherJM: "The more Russia seems to revel in near-pariah status, the more effective its bullying." A particularly good @MarkGaleot… 4 hours ago
- #Voronenkov's Murder: #Russia Will Regret Turning to the ‘Dark Side’ My thoughts for @MoscowTimes themoscowtimes.com/articles/russi… 8 hours ago
- RT @monicaellena: @MarkGaleotti, in #Russia "it's impossible to address corruption without breaking the whole machine" @bneintellinews http… 1 day ago
- RT @marcbennetts1: "Down with the tsar!" people shouted at anti-corruption protest in St Petersburg today. 100 years on from 1917 revolutio… 1 day ago
- RT @RussiawithoutBS: Thoughts on yesterday's protests across Russia, along with @MarkGaleotti 's explainer: nobsrussia.com/2017/03/27/a-b… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
THE MODERN RUSSIAN ARMY, 1992-2016 (Osprey, forthcoming February 2017_
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History