Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @NataliaAntonova: I was just thinking - why stop at "alt-right"? Go all out. Call crime "alt-legal." Call Wild Irish Rose "alt-cabernet." 2 hours ago
- Is she really in a position to lecture? #Ukraine's defence spend: 5% GDP #Lithuania's defence spend: 1.5% GDP twitter.com/KyivPost/statu… 6 hours ago
- RT @parfitt_tom: After almost a century, portrait of last tsar, Nicholas II, found on back of painting of his nemesis, Vladimir Lenin https… 6 hours ago
- RT @opendemocracyru: Amazing recent shot of a St. Petersburg bridge over the Neva by photographer Alexander Petrosyan. This one ought to wi… 6 hours ago
- RT @saradzhyan: This week's episodes from Russian-Ukrainian spy wars: https://t.co/uidc495BAB 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History