Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s. Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Clinical Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes a regular column, 'Siloviks & Scoundrels,' for the Moscow News.
- RT @NYUSPS: .@NYUCGA @MarkGaleotti & author @JohnClarkLevin will discuss Piracy & the Return of Mercenary Navies on 3/5 at 6:30pm http://t.… 4 hours ago
- If you've not read translation of proposed #Ukraine annexation plan in @Interpreter_Mag via @novaya_gazeta, do interpretermag.com/it-is-seen-as-… 6 hours ago
- RT @NataliaAntonova: "He may not have been the West's ideal, but...we 'could do business together'" @MarkGaleotti on the old Putin: http://… 6 hours ago
- RT @sibirio: "Feeding [Ukraine] the Donbas until it choked on it?" @MarkGaleotti's pessimistic forecast for Ukraine's near future. http://t… 19 hours ago
- RT @KolyaV: Dark Leviathan: Silk Road as compressed history. By @henryfarrell aeon.co/magazine/techn… Mark, you'll find it interesting. @Mar… 19 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
SPETSNAZ: RUSSIA'S SPECIAL FORCES (an Osprey book)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History