Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s. Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Clinical Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes a regular column, 'Siloviks & Scoundrels,' for the Moscow News.
- RT @seansrussiablog: This week's @seansrussiablog podcast: Interview w/ @MarkGaleotti on the murder of Boris #Nemtsov bit.ly/1M8LwTL 14 hours ago
- RT @APHClarkson: @MarkGaleotti Made similar point in Dec. Pointed out dangers of Ukraine army reforming without Western involvement: http:/… 1 day ago
- A Stalemate #Ukraine Can Win Interesting Alexander Motyl piece in @ForeignPolicy - I agree with him foreignpolicy.com/2015/03/04/a-s… 1 day ago
- RT @APHClarkson: @MarkGaleotti @andrewspoet But possibility of 'Pakistanization' of siloviki should be as worrying as idea that Putin is a … 1 day ago
- RT @edwardlucas: thoughtful myth-busting piece by @MarkGaleotti on what know & don't know abt nemtsov murder inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/kno… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
SPETSNAZ: RUSSIA'S SPECIAL FORCES (an Osprey book)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History