Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @bordaesth: the EU border industry costs 13bn euros, creating a smuggling industry worth about the same - @HenkvanHoutum on EU bordernom… 24 minutes ago
- RT @CER_IanBond: Long way to go to get convictions, but net closes a little more @BBCNews #MH17: Dutch-led team to release findings https:/… 43 minutes ago
- Exactly. And sadly this is one of the few things on which Trump is consistent: vox.com/2016/7/25/1227… twitter.com/warisboring/st… 16 hours ago
- RT @bneintellinews: Russia’s most feared cop Bastrykin resigns bit.ly/2cHYlN0 https://t.co/aAcGf1bMNM 19 hours ago
- RT @natsecHeather: Deadline next week for this great fellowship. Jump-start your career w/DC's best think tanks and advocacy shops -- and g… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History