Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- RT @james_acton32: Want to work @CarnegieEndow @carnegienpp next year? Apply for our 2016 Stanton Fellowship! carnegieendowment.applicantpro.com/jobs/315154.ht… 2 hours ago
- RT @HSalemon: What's in a name? Kremlin media switch to 'Daesh' instead of 'ISIS': globalvoices.org/2015/12/01/rus… 4 hours ago
- RT @bneIntelliNews: Read the December issue of bne IntelliNews Magazine j.mp/bne-intellinew… https://t.co/wwQOAStA7S 19 hours ago
- RT @Biz_Ukraine_Mag: @MarkGaleotti: three #Putins, one big problem. Why emotions too often get the better of impulsive #Russian leader htt… 1 day ago
- RT @stevenleemyers: The Kremlin and White House readouts of the meeting between Putin and Obama today sound unusually conciliatory regardin… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History