The NYU Jordan Center’s All the Russias’ blog continues to showcase high-quality and almost-serious writing, by which I obviously mean that it has published another of my pieces, Living in Cossackworld, exploring just why the Russian government (and this dates back to Yeltsin) places an importance on mobilizing and co-opting the Cossacks out of proportion with their practical importance.
‘Living in Cossackworld’ – on the practical and metaphorical roles of the Cossacks
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 2, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @dmitryzaksAFP: Despite #Putin and endless state TV propaganda, an overwhelming majority of Russians want better ties with the West http… 5 hours ago
- RT @KadriLiik: And they get it wrong. Putin's social conservatism is mostly opportunistic, little of it is real. mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/wor… 5 hours ago
- RT @AlexKokcharov: #Poll by @levada_ru : interest in #Russia to events in #Ukraine is at the lowest level since early 2014 https://t.co/VLb… 5 hours ago
- Those who live by the hack risk dying by it, too #Russia's FSB warns banks of hacker threat #CyberSecurity inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/rus… 8 hours ago
- RT @NataliaAntonova: I was just thinking - why stop at "alt-right"? Go all out. Call crime "alt-legal." Call Wild Irish Rose "alt-cabernet." 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History