The NYU Jordan Center’s All the Russias’ blog continues to showcase high-quality and almost-serious writing, by which I obviously mean that it has published another of my pieces, Living in Cossackworld, exploring just why the Russian government (and this dates back to Yeltsin) places an importance on mobilizing and co-opting the Cossacks out of proportion with their practical importance.
‘Living in Cossackworld’ – on the practical and metaphorical roles of the Cossacks
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 2, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now a senior researcher at the Institute of International Relations Prague and coordinates its Centre for European Security. He is also the director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark), as well as a visiting fellow with the ECFR.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- Become An Expert Fact Checker and Hoax Buster Online @TOL_edu course for those wanting to fight anti-disinfo fight! toleducation.org/courses/online… 23 hours ago
- RT @transcrime: How about spending 4 days in Milan next July? Check out our #SummerSchool bit.ly/SummerSchoolOn… @Unicatt @TNO_Research ht… 1 day ago
- The site of the British military mission to Georgia during the Russian Civil War in which my grandfather served... https://t.co/YAvJ9hW4Im 1 day ago
- RT @LarryIsaacLloyd: A must listen to report from @PowerVertical and @MarkGaleotti on the Kremlin's soft power capabilities. https://t.co/1… 2 days ago
- RT @IlvesToomas: The Power Vertical Podcast: All The Kremlin's Mafioso Made Men. With Russian organized crime expert @MarkGaleotti. https:/… 3 days ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
THE MODERN RUSSIAN ARMY, 1992-2016 (Osprey, forthcoming February 2017_
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History