The Russian hacker is an established trope of pop culture and news analysis alike and thus gets recycled ad nauseam, but it is based on fact, that they are disproportionately active in the world of cybercrime (and, indeed, cyberespionage). My latest Moscow News column, ‘Why are Russians excellent cybercriminals,’ briefly explores some of the reasons. In the future, I also want to look at the MVD’s Department K, its computer crime directorate, as well as the FSB’s Center for Information Security.
Russian cybercrime: means, motive and opportunity
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 22, 2011
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @ECFRWiderEurope: Listen to @MarkGaleotti for more insights on the new Russian Ministry of State Security @PowerVertical https://t.co/x6… 4 hours ago
- RT @KevinRothrock: Where’s the USG backlash against this inexcusable attack on women and women’s rights by one of America’s great East Euro… 17 hours ago
- RT @BBCSteveR: What the Russian gossip mags are saying about their president...and who may succeed him. A video review. https://t.co/zpS5XM… 20 hours ago
- I'd agree! twitter.com/OksanaBoyko_RT… 20 hours ago
- In July, @scrawnya + I posited in @ForeignPolicy how a crack-down in #Russia might start. Seems q timely now... foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/29/how… 23 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History