I return to the question of why the GRU is having a hard time of it at the moment (and is likely to continue to do so for a while) in my latest Moscow News column, Spooks Under Fire. They are suffering in part for being too obstreperous (and CoGS Makarov is looking to assert his authority) and also because Putin is becoming less tolerant of overlaps and turf wars within the intelligence community. Brian Whitmore makes some interesting additional observations in his latest Power Vertical blog post. We still await to hear whether military intelligence chief General Shlyakhturov will return to his post from his lengthy ‘medical leave’ – I suspect not.
More on the GRU and its hard times
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 21, 2011
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @Andrew_S_Bowen: #Russia under #Putin the rise of 'adhocrats' and policy entrepreneurs guiding Russia today @MarkGaleotti brilliantly su… 3 hours ago
- RT @PowerVertical: Looking forward to tomorrow's @PowerVertical Podcast on US-Russia Relations in the Age of Trump w/ @MarkGaleotti @vfrolo… 7 hours ago
- Festival Trumpovy a Putinovy lásky? My @ecfr piece, now in Czech at @CRozhlas thanks to @MagdalenSlezak rozhlas.cz/zpravy/svet/_z… 8 hours ago
- With 1 dep minister coming from FSB and other MOD, gosh, anyone wd thing #Russia's foreign ministry increasingly si… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- RT @MoscowMorning: Russia has no grand plans, but lots of ‘adhocrats’ bit.ly/2iM187O by @MarkGaleotti via @bneintellinews https://… 12 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History