My latest Moscow News column, Retooling Russia’s Riot Police, is out today. I riff off the responses to the recent UK riots (and in particular to the perceived weakness of the initial police response) to talk a little about Russian public order forces, and why – as usual before elections – they are being strengthened. The OMON, by the way, are not becoming OPON now that the militsiya are the politsiya, but KON: Komanda osobennogo naznacheniya (‘Special Designation Commands’). I plan to discuss the reforms to the public order and security forces here in a few days.
Good Bye OMON, Hello KON
Posted by Mark Galeotti on August 22, 2011
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @dmitryzaksAFP: Kremlin 'grey cardinal' Volodin, whim #Putin just appointed as parliament speaker, apparently has presidential ambitious… 14 hours ago
- RT @ECFRWiderEurope: The Kremlin is getting worried: @MarkGaleotti about the new head of Russian foreign intelligence #Russia #Naryshkin ht… 1 day ago
- And while on the subject of #Russia's proposed security reshuffle, my sceptical take for @bneintellinews intellinews.com/stolypin-putin… 1 day ago
- RT @PowerVertical: The new @PowerVertical Podcast is out! "Putin's Sword and Shield" w/ @MarkGaleotti @AndreiSoldatov https://t.co/1TQnm4b5… 1 day ago
- RT @bneintellinews: @MarkGaleotti writes Putin's intelligence reforms could prove rather unintelligent bit.ly/2d2PumI https://t.co… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History