My latest Moscow News column, Retooling Russia’s Riot Police, is out today. I riff off the responses to the recent UK riots (and in particular to the perceived weakness of the initial police response) to talk a little about Russian public order forces, and why – as usual before elections – they are being strengthened. The OMON, by the way, are not becoming OPON now that the militsiya are the politsiya, but KON: Komanda osobennogo naznacheniya (‘Special Designation Commands’). I plan to discuss the reforms to the public order and security forces here in a few days.
Good Bye OMON, Hello KON
Posted by Mark Galeotti on August 22, 2011
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now a senior researcher at the Institute of International Relations Prague and coordinates its Centre for European Security. He is also the director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark), as well as a visiting fellow with the ECFR.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- Today is #Russia's Defenders of the Fatherland day - and my @OspreyBooks book on the modern Russian army is out! ospreypublishing.com/the-modern-rus… 1 hour ago
- RT @2111015: #Russia|n army's 'information troops' aren't only #propagandists inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/pro… v @MarkGaleotti https://t.co/UzRqvGq6… 7 hours ago
- RT @DainisBushmanis: Mark Galeotti: #Russia 's #HybridWar : What Does it Really Mean, And How Should the West Respond? https://t.co/rC9ltUX… 11 hours ago
- Europe Needs Hearts & Minds Campaign for #Russia Yes - but naive to think isnt also a (soft) regime change program foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/21/eur… 13 hours ago
- #Russia's new 'information troops' are not just propagandists inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/pro… 13 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
THE MODERN RUSSIAN ARMY, 1992-2016 (Osprey, forthcoming February 2017_
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History