I’m in a ridiculous work-crunch period, so alas no time to blog about all kinds of interesting developments, from whether or not Doku Umarov is dead (probably not, alas) to the re-attestation process going on in the police (a great money-maker for those managing the process, a cynic would suggest). Let me just flag up, though, a fascinating series of opinions posted by a putative member of the OMON, Russia’s Special Designation Police Units (I wonder if they will soon become OPON?) riot police collected by Kevin Rothrock in A Good Treaty.
Voice of OMON
Posted by Mark Galeotti on March 31, 2011
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @AlexKokcharov: #Russia|n media report that a bodyguard of Ramzan #Kadyrov, head of #Chechnya, was killed during attempted #mutiny: htt… 22 hours ago
- RT @Alexey__Kovalev: OK Russian state TV, I know you're thrilled about Trump, but counting days until his inauguration is a bit over the to… 22 hours ago
- RT @ECFRWiderEurope: Be Smart,Cool,Strong,Flexible. Be Together. @MarkGaleotti recommends how to deal with Russia's Heavy Metal Diplomacy h… 22 hours ago
- 27 March, formerly #Russia's Interior Troops Day, now formally National Guard Day novayagazeta.ru/news/2017/01/1… 22 hours ago
- RT @pewglobal: Vladimir Putin remains an unpopular figure in America, but fewer Republicans now express dislike of him than in past https:/… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History