There has been some interesting discussion within the blogosphere about the new FSB law. The best I’ve seen has been in A Good Treaty, with an excellent dissection of the law (here) and a follow-up looking at my and Leonid Nikitinskii’s take on the law (here) which has also led to some lively and insightful debate in the comments section. Well worth a look.
Debate on the FSB law
Posted by Mark Galeotti on July 28, 2010
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @CER_IanBond: Excellent @MarkGaleotti on why #Putin relies on brutality & W indifference: Putin Playing by Grozny Rules in Aleppo https:… 1 day ago
- RT @IIR_PRG: What would happen if new "KGB" was formed, as #Putin plans? Our @MarkGaleotti's short take is worth reading! https://t.co/jbsT… 1 day ago
- RT @ForeignPolicy: It's impossible to understand Putin's brutal strategy in Syria without looking at Chechnya, writes @MarkGaleotti https:/… 2 days ago
- RT @NataliaAntonova: Great primer on Russian propaganda (and propaganda in general) by @MarkGaleotti: edition.cnn.com/2016/09/28/opi… #MH17 2 days ago
- My take for @CNNOpinion on what to expect from #Russia after #MH17 report: #Putin's 5-step denial + disinfo campaign edition.cnn.com/2016/09/28/opi… 3 days ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History