The appointment, after five months’ haggling and searching, of Major General Vladimir Kolokoltsev to be Moscow’s new police chief after the dismissal of General Pronin, provides the hook for another RFE/RL commentary: Three Reasons Why Russia’s Police Remain Unreformed. The three reasons? Politicization, corruption and a lack of resources. Of course, the fundamental meta-reason behind all three is that the Kremlin isn’t interested in meaningful police reform that would create an effective, independent law enforcement structure such that could underpin a genuine rule-of-law state. Alas.
All posts for the month October, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 10, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @MoscowTimes: Russia Spending $150M Monthly on Syria Mercenaries themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-sp… 1 hour ago
- RT @HromadskeRU: .@markgaleotti: «Администрация президента Путина — единственная влиятельная организация во всей России» https://t.co/VvZj… 6 hours ago
- 'United Communist Party' vs govt...+ KPRF official Comm. Pty. Interesting to see life in #Russia's left ng.ru/politics/2016-… [in Rus] 1 day ago
- Shakhro Molodoi and his org #crime crew facing serious charges from FSB Both real + fake policing present in #Russia kommersant.ru/doc/3071198 1 day ago
- RT @joelw_762: Reading this late, but @MarkGaleotti is v good at explaining confusing present thru historical metaphor. https://t.co/BBBgRV… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History