The appointment, after five months’ haggling and searching, of Major General Vladimir Kolokoltsev to be Moscow’s new police chief after the dismissal of General Pronin, provides the hook for another RFE/RL commentary: Three Reasons Why Russia’s Police Remain Unreformed. The three reasons? Politicization, corruption and a lack of resources. Of course, the fundamental meta-reason behind all three is that the Kremlin isn’t interested in meaningful police reform that would create an effective, independent law enforcement structure such that could underpin a genuine rule-of-law state. Alas.
All posts for the month October, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 10, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- Don't always agree w views, or tone, but @RadioWarNerd podcast on #Syria/#Russia/#Turkey has lots of good insights patreon.com/posts/3787895 7 hours ago
- RT @KevinRothrock: I just backed Press Start: Crowdfunding stories that matter on @Kickstarter kck.st/1MlLTwW Thanks to @MarkGaleo… 9 hours ago
- RT @pressstartorg: World press freedom is declining. Join #PressStart today and support reporters who fight every day to share news https:/… 13 hours ago
- V important + worthwhile venture: the @pressstartorg kickstarter - a platform crowdfunding indep investig journalism kickstarter.com/projects/78771… 14 hours ago
- RT @KimberlyMarten: The good tsar responds to the truckers' troubles when they are made known to him: ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3… 16 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History