The appointment, after five months’ haggling and searching, of Major General Vladimir Kolokoltsev to be Moscow’s new police chief after the dismissal of General Pronin, provides the hook for another RFE/RL commentary: Three Reasons Why Russia’s Police Remain Unreformed. The three reasons? Politicization, corruption and a lack of resources. Of course, the fundamental meta-reason behind all three is that the Kremlin isn’t interested in meaningful police reform that would create an effective, independent law enforcement structure such that could underpin a genuine rule-of-law state. Alas.
All posts for the month October, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 10, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- A bit of UK politics: a 5-min primer on #Corbyn, #LabourParty + #Brexit from @IIR_PRG's @bctallis youtube.com/watch?v=kvUgQ_… 13 hours ago
- #Putin Is Not The Real Threat To American Democracy Read @NataliaAntonova in @vocativ on o/blown #DNCHack furore voc.tv/2acx5nG 14 hours ago
- Intrsting on Dugin's influence on #Russia's geopol, but I q real impact (+ that his book textbook at GenStaff Acad) foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/27/geo… 14 hours ago
- New dep head of #Russia's National Guard is Gen. Sergei Melikov, ex cmdr of Dzerzhinsky security division + then Prez Envoy to N Caucasus 18 hours ago
- RT @sarahlain12: Fears grow over Scottish firms used for money-laundering in former Soviet Union heraldscotland.com/news/14623297.… 21 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History