The appointment, after five months’ haggling and searching, of Major General Vladimir Kolokoltsev to be Moscow’s new police chief after the dismissal of General Pronin, provides the hook for another RFE/RL commentary: Three Reasons Why Russia’s Police Remain Unreformed. The three reasons? Politicization, corruption and a lack of resources. Of course, the fundamental meta-reason behind all three is that the Kremlin isn’t interested in meaningful police reform that would create an effective, independent law enforcement structure such that could underpin a genuine rule-of-law state. Alas.
All posts for the month October, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 10, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- T.May "having a Mex standoff w an opponent she doesnt u/stand, amid power dynamics she has not comprehended, for hi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- The Spies Who Love #Putin I look at game-changing intrusion into foreign intel of Russia's #FSB for @TheAtlantic theatlantic.com/international/… 10 hours ago
- A #Trump-#Putin summit? Bring it on My counter-intuitive #Russia #USA thoughts for @ecfr @ECFRWiderEurope ecfr.eu/article/commen… 13 hours ago
- RT @AlexKokcharov: #Russia|n media report that a bodyguard of Ramzan #Kadyrov, head of #Chechnya, was killed during attempted #mutiny: htt… 1 day ago
- RT @Alexey__Kovalev: OK Russian state TV, I know you're thrilled about Trump, but counting days until his inauguration is a bit over the to… 1 day ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History