The appointment, after five months’ haggling and searching, of Major General Vladimir Kolokoltsev to be Moscow’s new police chief after the dismissal of General Pronin, provides the hook for another RFE/RL commentary: Three Reasons Why Russia’s Police Remain Unreformed. The three reasons? Politicization, corruption and a lack of resources. Of course, the fundamental meta-reason behind all three is that the Kremlin isn’t interested in meaningful police reform that would create an effective, independent law enforcement structure such that could underpin a genuine rule-of-law state. Alas.
All posts for the month October, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on October 10, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- Autocracy, Marriage, + Power in E. Mod #Russia Interesting @seansrussiablog p'cast + requiem for EMod R Hist at uni seansrussiablog.org/2016/05/18/aut… 15 minutes ago
- Report part-produced by FSO in role as watcher of potential unrest. Will new chief Kochnev be up to this role? [2/2] ecfr.eu/article/commen… 33 minutes ago
- Real challenge: #Russia's monocities face serious unemployment - @novaya_gazeta citing official report [1/2] novayagazeta.ru/economy/73158.… 35 minutes ago
- RT @RussianEmbassy: Good morning! (Khabarovsk territory, Russia) https://t.co/5vLK7XLozD 5 hours ago
- RT @bneeditor: Re-up of Putin launches Grand Reform plan. this is a key milestone people... intellinews.com/moscow-blog-pu… https://t.co/zSSaUhNfWO 5 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History