Just as a little cross-post, I would mention that I have just had a short commentary published on the RFE/RL website on the Shamanov case and what it may say about corruption within the High Command and the prospects for change. My downbeat conclusions are that “Whatever happens to Shamanov, the likelihood is that Russia’s dirty generals will continue to enjoy business as usual – so long as they keep a low profile.” After all, the present military reform programme represents a major bonanza for these crooks in braid, and the last thing they want to do is to see Defence Minister Serdyukov forced and able to do something serious about the numerous scams they have running.
All posts for the month September, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on September 29, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now senior research fellow at the Institute of International Relations Prague and director of the consultancy firm Mayak Intelligence. Previously he has been Professor of Global Affairs at New York University, head of the History department at Keele University in the UK, an adviser at the British Foreign Office and a visiting professor at MGIMO (Moscow), Charles University (Prague) and Rutgers (Newark).
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Spetsnaz: Russia's Special Forces' (Osprey) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He is a contributing editor to Business New Europe.
- RT @joelw_762: Reading this late, but @MarkGaleotti is v good at explaining confusing present thru historical metaphor. https://t.co/BBBgRV… 6 hours ago
- RT @HromadskeRU: .@markgaleotti: "Путин придерживается стратегии напряженности" ru.hromadske.ua/ru/articles/sh… https://t.co/kMPiDIDEX9 9 hours ago
- #Putin’s perverse win-win in the #Olympic #doping scandal Thoughts for @voxdotcom on a kind of victory for #Russia vox.com/2016/8/23/1244… 11 hours ago
- RT @GULAG_CZ: Today, we mark the Day of Remembrance for Victims of Totalitarian Regimes. Read more on CZ&SK citizens in the Gulag https://t… 17 hours ago
- RT @cccjhull: Come and join our fab Crim team at Hull! Lecturer in Criminology see more at jobs.hull.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?r… #criminology @BritSocCrim 17 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History