Just as a little cross-post, I would mention that I have just had a short commentary published on the RFE/RL website on the Shamanov case and what it may say about corruption within the High Command and the prospects for change. My downbeat conclusions are that “Whatever happens to Shamanov, the likelihood is that Russia’s dirty generals will continue to enjoy business as usual – so long as they keep a low profile.” After all, the present military reform programme represents a major bonanza for these crooks in braid, and the last thing they want to do is to see Defence Minister Serdyukov forced and able to do something serious about the numerous scams they have running.
All posts for the month September, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on September 29, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- RT @HudsonEvents: Tue@12: Modern Russia: Crime, Kleptocracy & Politics w/@ISETNYU's @MarkGaleotti & @KleptocracyInt's #CharlesDavidson http… 17 hours ago
- Interesting piece from @ecfr that raises good qs but I think overstates #Russia's military capacity & ability to use twitter.com/ecfrwidereurop… 18 hours ago
- RT @bizneweurope: #Romania intelligence report reveals criminal penetration of government bne.eu/content/story/… 18 hours ago
- RT @leonidragozin: Purged Putin's confidant Vladimir Yakunin talks about his British son & lavish lifestyle in my @POLITICOEurope piece htt… 18 hours ago
- RT @KleptocracyInt: Geoffrey R. Pyatt: Failure to Fight #Corruption Threatens Everything That #Government is Doing @KyivPost http://t.co/z… 21 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History