Just as a little cross-post, I would mention that I have just had a short commentary published on the RFE/RL website on the Shamanov case and what it may say about corruption within the High Command and the prospects for change. My downbeat conclusions are that “Whatever happens to Shamanov, the likelihood is that Russia’s dirty generals will continue to enjoy business as usual – so long as they keep a low profile.” After all, the present military reform programme represents a major bonanza for these crooks in braid, and the last thing they want to do is to see Defence Minister Serdyukov forced and able to do something serious about the numerous scams they have running.
All posts for the month September, 2009
Posted by Mark Galeotti on September 29, 2009
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s.
Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Professor of Global Affairs at the Center for Global Affairs of New York University's School of Professional Studies, Director of its Initiative for the Study of Emerging Threats, and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes regular columns for the Moscow Times and Business New Europe.
- Interesting @novaya_gazeta piece links #Murov, department head of #FSO directly w shenanigans in St P port novayagazeta.ru/columns/73253.… [Rus] 13 minutes ago
- Nice metaphor from @CER_IanBond - Russia cannot quite adapt to its loss... twitter.com/CER_IanBond/st… 2 hours ago
- RT @GeoffPyatt: Last image from @OSCE_SMM drone brought down Friday over separatist-controlled Donetsk shows Strela missile #Russia https:/… 5 hours ago
- RT @MoscowTimes: So you love taking photos in #Russia? The @calvertjournal wants your pictures. themoscowtimes.com/article/570186… #NEPP2016 https://t… 10 hours ago
- Is real obstacle to #Russia econ reform not oligarchs but (state-spnsrd) stoligarchs? @bneeditor in @bneintellinews intellinews.com/moscow-blog-pu… 19 hours ago
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Military
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History