Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s. Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Clinical Professor of Global Affairs at New York University's Center for Global Affairs and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes a regular column, 'Siloviks & Scoundrels,' for the Moscow News.
- #Moscow continues its Amerikanskaya chistka: Tom #Firestone expelled wp.me/pjjTl-oc #purge 30 minutes ago
- Firestone a thorn in side of corrupt Rus officials. Not sure if more surprised by spiteful decision to bar him or FSB's optimism cd turn him 1 hour ago
- #Russia expels Tom Firestone, ex-DOJ lawyer at embassy + scourge of 'reiding', when rebuffs bid to recruit by #FSB nyti.ms/10dsELT 1 hour ago
- Chernyakhovsky on #Kudrin, #Medvedev + clan politics in #Russia: "Putin trying to reconcile the irreconcilable" zavtra.ru/content/view/k… [Rus] 4 hours ago
- RT @GPIngersoll: Russia's "Zaslon" special operators are so shadowy they make Ninjas look like amateurs by @MarkGaleotti http://t.co/vHaK… 8 hours ago
Most Recent Book:
"A much needed objective and balanced examination of the ways in which security has played and continues to play a central role in contemporary Russian politics. "
Contents: Introduction Mark Galeotti; Security Strategy: Sovereign Democracy and Great Power Aspirations Graeme Herd; The Politics of Security Mark Smith; Civil-Military Relations and the Security Apparatus Bettina Renz; Neither Reform Nor Modernisation: The Armed Forces Under and After Putin's Command Pavel Baev; Chechnya and Regional Security C.W. Blandy; Nuclear Arms Control After a Time of Troubles Stephen J. Cimbala; Terrorism, Crime and the Security Forces Mark Galeotti; The 'Security Economy' Julian Cooper; Russia's Unending Quest for Security Stephen Blank; Afterword Dmitri Trenin; Bibliography; Index
'Incisive, well-informed and disturbing.'
-- Edward Lucas, The Economist
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
RUSSIAN SECURITY & PARAMILITARY FORCES (a book for the Osprey Elite series)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History