Just a quick note: I have a largely-but-not-wholly serious piece on VVP and his travails in the NYU Jordan Center All The Russias blog, Putin: the man who arranges the blocks. Is this man a tactician rather than a strategist, and does he have some sense that his once-impregnable fortress might be beginning to crumble…?
Putin: tactician, strategist or player of political Tetris?
Posted by Mark Galeotti on November 7, 2012
This blog's author, Dr Mark Galeotti has been researching Russian history and security issues since the late 1980s. Educated at Cambridge University and the LSE, he is now Clinical Professor of Global Affairs at New York University's Center for Global Affairs and an associate member of NYU's History and Russian & Slavic Studies departments. Until 2008, he was head of the History department at Keele University in the UK as well as director of its Organised Russian & Eurasian Crime Research Unit.
His books include the edited collections 'The Politics of Security in Modern Russia' (Ashgate), 'Russian & Soviet Organized Crime' (Ashgate) and 'Global Crime Today' (Routledge) and he is a regular contributor to Jane's Intelligence Review, Oxford Analytica and many other outlets. He writes a regular column, 'Siloviks & Scoundrels,' for the Moscow News.
- RT @JohnsonRussiaLi: Russian chief prosecutor says corruption threatens national security russialist.org/russian-chief-… #RUSSIA #CORRUPTION 17 hours ago
- RT @JiriSchneider: Prague ranking #4 among Top 10 European Best Destination 2012 europeanconsumerschoice.org/travel/europea… 17 hours ago
- RT @Khinshtein: Совсем забыл: ровно год назад Р.Нургалиев был отправлен в отставку, министром ВД стал В.Колокольцев. Личный состав отмечал … 20 hours ago
- RT @BBCDanielS: Yesterday: Russia's FSB shot dead two men it accused of plotting to attack "mass events" in Moscow. Today: no follow up sto… 1 day ago
- RT @KevinRothrock: inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/mos… @MarkGaleotti on Tom Firestone’s expulsion from Russia, following rebuff of FSB recruitment. Purg… 1 day ago
Most Recent Book:
"A much needed objective and balanced examination of the ways in which security has played and continues to play a central role in contemporary Russian politics. "
Contents: Introduction Mark Galeotti; Security Strategy: Sovereign Democracy and Great Power Aspirations Graeme Herd; The Politics of Security Mark Smith; Civil-Military Relations and the Security Apparatus Bettina Renz; Neither Reform Nor Modernisation: The Armed Forces Under and After Putin's Command Pavel Baev; Chechnya and Regional Security C.W. Blandy; Nuclear Arms Control After a Time of Troubles Stephen J. Cimbala; Terrorism, Crime and the Security Forces Mark Galeotti; The 'Security Economy' Julian Cooper; Russia's Unending Quest for Security Stephen Blank; Afterword Dmitri Trenin; Bibliography; Index
'Incisive, well-informed and disturbing.'
-- Edward Lucas, The Economist
Forthcoming Books and Projects
VORY (A history of Russian organised crime)
RUSSIAN SECURITY & PARAMILITARY FORCES (a book for the Osprey Elite series)
CRIMINAL WORLD (long-term monograph project on organised crime worldwide and throughout history)
- Book Review
- Central Asia
- Central Europe
- Czech Republic
- Interior Troops (VV)
- Investigative Committee
- Military – Russia
- North Caucasus
- Organized Crime – Russia
- Organized Crime – Transnational
- Police Reform
- Prosecutor General
- Russian History
- Russian Politics
- Russian Prisons
- Soviet History